Friday, June 4, 2010

Tantrum Tamer


I am going to attempt to capture a little moment from the week that still has me smiling.

It all started with a tantrum. A particularily bad two year old tantrum in our local cafe. As we were waiting in line to pay, Izzy decided she had to have my purse. Like, HAD TO HAVE MY PURSE. NOW. NOW. MINE. MINE. MINE. I obviously declined and she spiralled, rather quickly in to major tantrum mode.

Just when I thought it might go on forever and ever and we may never get served, a little girl of about 4 years old walked over and looked Izzy square in the eyes.

She placed both her hands on Izzys shoulders and just smiled calmly at her. Izzy looked like she was going to knock her out but the girl didn't move, she just looked at her with the most amazing compassion and love. Izzy stopped. Just stopped her tantrum and stared back at her. They embraced. They just stood there holding eachother, Izzy with her head on her shoulder sobbing and girl patting her gently on the back. They stayed like this for about 30 seconds.

I havent been able to get this image out of my head all week. Although there were no words exchanged, so much seemed to be said. That little girl understood exaclty how Izzy was feeling. It was as if she was saying "It gets easier honey, I know its bloody hard, but it will get easier" She was talking to both of us. I wanted to scoop that little girl up and pop her in my handbag for the next tantrum. The ultimate Tantrum Tamer.

5 comments:

nellbe said...

wow that's amazing. I certainly would love one of these myself! Thanks for popping past my blog, I have backed it up now and have written a post about it. I hope it helps!

Maxabella said...

That's a gorgeous moment, Jess. And, of course, there's a lesson there... go for it!

Hayley said...

wow what a beautiful moment!!Its tough being a kid sometimes ;)

Cat said...

What a gift that little girl gave you both. I often get so caught up in the fluster I feel at the tantrum and forget to see things from the perspective of the little person. Not to say that my little guy should be pandered to but he sure does deserve a bit of empathy. I'd love to remember what it felt like to be two again!

xo

Cherie said...

Oh Jess - sounds like a meeting of two old souls! If we only knew what went on in the head of our littlies, wouldn't life be so much easier for them and us too? That's a treasured moment for sure!