Monday, June 15, 2009

Blog this challenge: Kindness



This weeks BLOG THIS challenge is:

If you could name one small gesture someone else has made that had a big impact on your life, what would it be?

This is going back many years ago.. but it stands out as being an act of kindness that really impacted my journey in to adulthood.

I was 18 years old and had just arrived in London from Cyprus. Alone. Work permit in hand and the sum total of 50 pounds to my name (spent my savings en-route through Greece). It was about 9pm at night and I had just called my Dad in Australia to say that I was shit scared and that I had made a mistake....I wanted to get on the next flight home! He told me to find somewhere to stay, quick smart before it got any later and call him in the morning. After realising I had nowhere near enough for a hotel room, I got on the tube (very scary in itself) to make my way to 'Tent City' which was basically a field full of army style tents that backpackers could stay in for 5 pounds a night. I was sure I had my bravest face on as I sat on that tube in a carriage full of foreign people but in hindsight I must have looked petrified.

Out of nowhere a guy of around the same age came and sat next to me and asked if I was ok.. I replied in the affirmative and he explained that I looked a little lost. I told him I had just arrived and where i was going. He told me that he had arrived there from South Africa a year ago to the day and that he was soon to return home. The conversation was pretty brief. We said our goodbyes, he wished me goodluck and I made my way to tent city...in the pouring rain.

About an hour after I arrived, he turned up at tent city with his girlfriend and a mate and said that he had been home and realised that he couldnt just leave me without a place to stay in a place like London! I took a risk and followed them home. I ended up living in that share house (in the room that he vacated)for about 6 months. It was the beginning of 3 years overseas that shaped my life.

I will never forget the generosity of Zaine...it introduced me to the kindness of strangers when travelling.

8 comments:

Dumb Mom said...

Wow! Cool story. Sometimes you're just meant to meet someone, I guess. Found you on SITS, just stopping in to leave some comment love:)

Bee said...

That's a pretty cool story! Thank you for sharing it :)

carly said...

great story!

Smithsholidayroad said...

Love a great travel story! reminds me of pre-kids times :) wonderful opportunities and experiences. xx

Little mimoo said...

wow! what a great story and how nice of him to bring his girlfriend with him as he obviously didnt want to frighten you and think he was a creep!

nellbe said...

Great story! What a lovely person to do that for you. :)

Kylez..aka...Mrs.P! said...

That's a great story...another example that there are still great people out there!

Nisha said...

Isnt it amazing how a decision made in a split second, a risk taken can change your life forever. Its lovely to have a giuding hand when youre lost and alone :-) Lovely story!