
Now that I have my 12 week ultrasound on my fridge, it has really sunk in that we... in around 6 months time will be really, truly having another baby. I have started to feel the little flutters in my belly. Unbelievable that they can be felt so early this time around.
I have also started to feel anxious about the birth. I don't want to feel anxious. I want to take the advise of my obstetrician and go with the flow, see how things unfold and take each day at a time. He has obviously never been pregnant or given birth before.
Izzy was breech and I had a scheduled CS. I accepted pretty early on in the pregnancy that it was going to be that way. I was ok with it as I felt that if she wanted to turn, she would turn. If not, we would get her out the safest way.
But a VBAC is a whole new ball game. I know how hospitals (and Ob's) can be.. VBACS are viewed as 'high risk'. I will need to have continuous fetal monitoring (ie. be hooked up to a beeping machine and not able to shower or bathe), will need to progress 'well' by their measures - dialate a cm an hour - and basically have a text book perfect pregnancy & labour if I want to have a vaginal birth this time. That is not fair considering my body will be seeing this as its first 'birth' - how many first time births meet these expectations?
My point is, that from where I stand right now, it feels like there will be battle after battle to keep things as natural as possible and to just be given the space to let my body do its thing. I fear that I have chosen the wrong Obstetrician. Some of the things he has said have bugged me but I think its too late to change - After all, what Ob would be able to take on a new patient at 14 weeks?
Has anyone reading this had a VBAC before? What was your experience? I would love to hear from you.
10 comments:
oh this saddens me to read. i hope you try to find a new ob. it is so important for you to feel comfortable. one of my dear friends have two vaginal births after a cs with her first. she went the route of having a water birth at a birthing center. it seemed to be a very supportive experience for her. not sure if that is an option for you.
I'm a VBAC mumma. You're right, you kind of have a fight on your hands, but it's so worth it. I went with midwife care (I don't know what happens in the States, but here in Oz we can either go Ob or Midwife) and they are so much more supportive of VBAC. Be ready to articulate your reasons for wanting a VBAC over and over. Best wishes!!
No experience to share Jess just words of encouragement.
I hope you get the birth you want!
ps I love the new look blog :)
Oh Darling I've got no advice but do keep calm, do research and most of all follow your intuition - always listen to that little voice inside, it's usually right. Huge {{{HUGS}}}. xo.
Hey there, I'm with you! Im 29 weeks pregnant with my second -- my first was an emergency caeser and I am desperate this time for a 'natural' birth. The worst part about birthing is that it is all completely out of your control... Im just trying to relax and hope to god I have the birthing experience every woman surely deserves! Good luck with your journey over the next few months....
hi there
I was just thinking last night how great it would be to try naturally but now I've had too many c/s for that as my first was so big and ended up c/s and the twins they wouldn't muck around and to tell you the truth I wasn't going to fight them over twins and sure enough number 4 has to be a c/s. I've accepted it now but if I was given the chance it would be nice to try and experience a natural birth!
good luck
Corrie:)
I'm not a VBAC mum, but what I can say is that if you don't feel comfortable with your ob, then change. I regret not changing with my last pregnancy...I regret it every day. The only joy I had was that my ob was actually on leave at the time of birth and a brilliant Dr ended up delivering me. Trust your instincts! I wish you all the luck in the world. xx
I think the most important thing to do is to take it as it comes and not get stressed about the situation. If VBAC isn't meant to be don't see it as the be all and end all of the world just take it in your stride and try and find a way to deal with it. Remember a stressed mumma = a stressed baby.
I felt the baby quite early on too {this is my third time} such a magical experience.
Good Luck xx
I had a VBAC after a CS with twins. I went with midwifery care and didn't really feel like I had a fight on my hands,. I was monitired throughout the delivery but spent most of my time upright on an exercise ball and delivered my gorgeous daughter in four hours, it was an amazing experience. Go with your instincts and good luck.
I'm sure you would easily find someone to change to? 34 weeks could be getting a little close but 14 is still so early. But in reality i have no idea what your area of the woods is like. I had independent midwives (not nhs) with my last baby after a less then ideal first birth and they were brilliant. I had Seb at home 10lb 11.5 oz and he had a shoulder dystocia and got stuck but because they deliver babies naturally everyday they knew exactly what to do and all was fine. I was not a VBAC but I know they deliver VBAC's at home all the time. I don't know what your doctors have told you but i think it is very rare to have any serious complications from a VBAC and from friends experiences you do not need to be monitored continously and can go in a water pool. But you do need to be observed and watched of course. I guess it just depends on whether your doctor or midwive believes in au naturel or not? Look around. You'll never know otherwise.
Sorry for the essay!! xx Good luck
Post a Comment