Now, I am not usually one to share recipes. I am no Martha Stewart by any stretch of the imagination. If I cook something that scores well in our house (yes, he actually scores my food out of 10) then it is usually a complete fluke.
However, It wouldn't be fair not to share this pie. It is absolutely delicious and for us Silly Yaks (Coeliacs) it is 100% gluten free if you use GF pastry. I have finally found the PERFECT gluten free pastry. Its made by The Pastry Pantry and they have various stockists throughout Australia.
I forgot to take a pic before consuming so you will just have to take my word that it looks & tastes delish!
Ingrediants:
2 tbs pine nuts (these were $16.50 for a small bag at my local green grocer. Criminal! So I went to the local organic shop and bought 2 tbs for $2.00 instead)
700g lean lamb shoulder, cut into 3cm pieces
2 tbs plain flour (or GF flour if required)
60ml (1/4 cup) vegetable oil
1 brown onion, roughly chopped
250ml (1 cup) good-quality beef stock
1 400g can whole Italian tomatoes, drained, roughly chopped
1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
1 tbs fresh lemon juice
1 tsp ground cumin (I actually used much more than this as found it needed to be tastier at the end)
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tbs finely chopped fresh coriander
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
Freshly cracked black pepper
Puff Pastry (I used rough puff)
Cumin seeds
Egg for brushing at end
Heat a small frying pan over medium heat and cook the pine nuts, stirring, for 2 minutes or until lightly toasted. Transfer to a small bowl.
Place the lamb in a medium bowl, add the flour and toss to coat. Heat 2 tbs of the oil in a medium heavy-based frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the lamb and cook, stirring often, for 6 minutes or until light brown. Transfer the lamb to a heatproof bowl.
Reduce heat to medium and add remaining oil to pan. Add onion and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Return lamb to pan with stock, tomatoes, lemon rind, lemon juice, cumin, ground coriander, fresh coriander and sugar. Add salt and season with pepper. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer gently for 1 hour 20 minutes or until lamb is tender. Increase heat to medium and cook, uncovered, for a further 10-15 minutes or until sauce reduces to a thick gravy. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if necessary.
Stir in pine nuts. Transfer the lamb filling to a medium heatproof bowl and set aside for 10 minutes. Cover and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to partially cool.
When cooled, transfer pie filling to casserole dish or I used individual porcelin souffle dishes and cover with puff pastry as per pastry instructions.
Use a small sharp knife to cut a 4cm cross in the centre of the pastry top and then brush the top lightly with the whisked egg. Sprinkle evenly with the cumin seeds.
Place the pie plate on a baking tray and bake in oven for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 190°C and cook for a further 20-25 minutes or until the pastry is well puffed and golden, and the filling is heated through. If necessary, use foil to shield areas of the pastry top and edges that are browning too quickly during cooking.
Voila! Ready to serve with green beans or a delicious chickpea, cucumber and tomato salad!
3 comments:
This sounds incredible! It's rainy and miserable here - the perfect weekend for staying inside and cooking... so, I'm going to give it a go!
Oooh yummy! Thanks for sharing! C xo.
I’m Lacie Hoffman, an intern with Superior Farms in Davis, CA, and I noticed your great article on your preparation of lamb! I am super excited to hear all the enthusiasm about lamb. We are kicking off the summer with our summer grilling promotion at www.GrillLamb.com. We’re giving away a Mediterranean cruise for two and promoting simple Mediterranean seasonings for lamb. We are hoping to get more lamb lovers this summer by highlighting delicious recipes and cooking tips. If you have any posts coming up, we would love to hear about them! Also, look for us on Facebook.
Thank you for your time!
Sincerely,
Lacie Hoffman
Post a Comment