I want to ask you a question.... Do you, as a Mummy blogger ever get worried or anxious about the level of privacy (or lack thereof) when blogging?To answer my own question... I do, yes.
It is intermittent for me. Sometimes I feel fine with it... I post pics of my family, record details of our lives and wait excitedly for comments and cyber hugs from other bloggers like you!
And then other times I freak out. Like yesterday. I noticed I had a new follower. Always a happy moment - someone thinks your blog is interesting/pretty/cool enough to follow. Except this follower was a male and in his photo he was wearing sunglasses and a cap.
Hmmm.. No big deal on the surface but I started to wonder why someone would be interested in my blog if they weren't another Mum or into craft etc - I mean that is really all I blog about and it is that sector of the blogging community that I intentionally surround myself with. Its just where I am at right now. I then really started to question whether I should be posting photo's of Izzy. She has no say in the matter, after all.
On the other hand I don't want to stop... I love this outlet, this community, this opportunity to share stories, thoughts, photos and advice with other Mums....
Oh the confusion!
I am really keen to hear your thoughts on this as most of you are in the same boat and share pics, basic info etc...
PS - I actually blocked the follower. Harsh, I know but after trawling his blog and related sites and finding nothing either incriminating or in common... I just ended up deciding to go with my gut and er on the side of caution.
10 comments:
I for one LOVE your blog and especially your updates and photos of Izzy!
To be honest I'm more guarded with what I say on forums I contribute to rather than my blog.
I don't know whether that isduos to my psuedonem or sheer ignorance.
That said I always check out any new followers.
Can you up your security to control who sees your blog?
Your blog is so honest I'd hate for you to change anything!
Jess my dear! I too love your blog & would be sad to see it ever go 'offline'! The online community of 'Mummy/Creative Bloggers'is amazing & such a wonderful place to be a part of.
I know how you feel though! I too had a little freak out several months ago {not long after I started my blog} and was very confused about what content & photos I should blog about & which I should keep out of 'public' view! We live in this world now where it is so very easy to see inside of somebody's life {facebook, blogs, myspace, twitter etc}. I also 'click' on all my new followers to see their profile & to date I have had only similar bloggers/women to me! But I understand your hesitation or concern with your new follower yesterday! I would be the same!
I gave this topic a lot of thought a while back & decided this: I blog mainly for ME! It's my way to promote my business, my creations, my work....but also a way to journal my life with my family. I want it to be something I am proud of, something I can call my own & something Ella can look at it in the future & see what we did & where we went...and how I {as her Mummy} felt, thought & saw things! So, I put a lot of photos in my posts & write exactly how I want to! I love having followers & other bloggers to share this journey of life with! It makes blog writing a lot easier & more inspiring when you know someone else will actually read it :) I do worry every now & then about who would look at my photos & what could come of it...but I also believe in not letting fears or 'what-if's' getting in the way of my life & my choices! I started adding a clairechadwick watermark on my photos...not because I'm a fabulous photographer {haaa far from it} but as another little way to 'protect' anyone from claiming the image as their own or using it in the wrong manner!
Hope this was so help :)
Off the subject...how are feeling {pregnancy wise}?
xo
... I've never thought to suss out the followers. They're all there and welcome. I don't (and I know you don't) post any pics of the Tsunamis that I wouldn't want 'anyone' to see. I keep things relatively private unless I really trust a blogger through knowing them for a long time, then I might share other details via email and the like.
You're right to go with your gut. But then, one of the great things about blogging is meeting people that you might not ordinarily get to know on the 'outside'. I'd want to make sure I wasn't blocking that opportunity... x
Yes, I worry, too. Part of me wants to put my full name out there and then I am afraid to do it.
I didn't realise you could block a follower, great to know.
Yes, I worry, too. Part of me wants to put my full name out there, but then I am afraid. I didn't realise you can block a follower, good to know.
i like this post....It is something I struggle with and I really have a love/hate relationship with blogging
Some days i think it is the best thing ever, other days I wonder what the point of it is and wonder about the safety aspect of it...
I agree with Claire's comment above....with a little common sense it is probably not worth wondering "what if"....Saying that, I certainly am a "what if" person with an overactive imagination - i am trying to do it less though as it is not good for you!
Not really a helpful comment from me! I started writing without really thinking about what I wanted to say so I hope it makes a little sense!
Oh ladies.. this is truly why I love this little online community. You have definately made me feel better about it all...I agree with what you say too, Claire that you dont want to stop doing something that you love and get so much out of because of all the 'what ifs' - All the reasons that you listed for why you blog are exactly why I blog too.
Katie - I think u can up your security but it means people can only 'follow' if you invite them and that means, as Maxabella said, that I would be closing myself off to new people.
Gill - your comment was definately helpful because it helps to know I am not the only person who has had these concerns. I guess it will always be a concern in my mind but maybe it is about following our gut on certain things and keeping watch as you would in any environment - online or real life.
Its good that you go with your gut....and that you question things...its sad to I know..but as a mother..this is what we do.
When I get a follower that kind of rings alarm bells..I always check out their blog and their followers...if its loads of images of gorgeous young ladies..then that also makes me go Hmmm...and if it not interior related..or anything on the creative side..then just like you..I bloke them. Most new followers are very friendly and will comment on a post or say hi and introduce themselves...so you have to wonder when some never do. You did the right thing sweety...as much as blogging is fun and a great way to connect with others...you have to also ensure that your life isnt an open book for all...as some peoples intention just arent sincere..sadly. But thankfully a majority of them are here in blogland..so I wouldnt worry too much.
Your a good mum and wifey :) x
I know what you mean... I am dreadful when it comes to cyber-protecting my family, there are pictures and references to us everywhere!! But like you, I cant help myself... maybe I should check my followers more closely, I'll admit that of late Im so busy I wouldnt even know who half of them are!! I am flattered anyone would want to follow me at all!! I dont know what the answer is here... despite my flagrant lack of protection I dont really feel threatened, and until I do it'll be business as always!! Hope you had a good weekend xo
I have been asking myself the same question lately. I know how what the right answer is.
You can never be wrong to go with your gut :)
Post a Comment