Izzy experienced her first real storm today. We snuggled up in bed under the doona and listened to the loud cracks of thunder and flashes of lightening.
I could see the fear etched in her little face as she looked up at me and asked
"Mumma - what is thunder?"
I was caught off guard. I panicked. When did this happen? When did my baby become a little girl who asks complex questions? I mean, I am used to 'Whats thaaat?!' but this is different... this requires thought... or at least time to google!
It dawned on me in that instant that I meant to know stuff'. I am no longer just here to provide sustenance, safety and love. I am actually going to contribute to another humans intellect. Shiver.
My answer? "Darling, thunder is beautiful. Its the sound of the clouds banging together"
Oh dear....epic fail on the first Mum fact!
The worst part? She has actually digested and stored this little 'Mum Fact' away in her growing bank of knowledge. I know this because I overheard her telling Nan and Pa that she heard the clouds banging together today!
A little disclaimer (so you dont think I am a total twit):
I actually do, on reflection, know that thunder is the sound of lightening but thats where my knowledge ends... and that answer would have inevitably resulted in a new question: Mumma what is lightening?
5 comments:
gorgeous jess...thinking of you at this time and can't wait to see little baby pictures very soon! x
I was talking to my Brother on the phone this afternoon {they live in Victoria} and I could hear the storm in the background!!!
Awwww Izzy is so cute Jess! And don't worry...we all do it....say whatever comes to mind...and in hope that it prevents another string of too-complex questions LOL! Ella's at the stage of asking the ins & outs of EVERYTHING!! I love it most of the time as ir gives a chance to really talk & imagine....but sometimes it;s draining to 'know it all' hehehe :))))
xo
oh i really loved this post Jess, how sweet are the questions and yes, they make you think don't they? My two and a half year old has just started with these questions too, i thought I was reasonably prepared being an early childhood teacher but nothing prepares you for the 24/7 questions from your child...I loved your answer too...
Gill xo
I love your answer Jess!
ps - did you google the real answer :)
Love it!! I cant wait for that stage so I can show off to Fern how amazingly knowledgable and intelligent I am ;)))
Good luck this weekend, hopefully you'll be having a baby... if not, I expect to see your xmas tree!!! x
Post a Comment