Sunday, June 5, 2011
Torn
This is Izzy on her first official day at Kinder (otherwise known as childcare). Her face pretty much sums up her mood on the morning - Terrified. Excited. Curious. Proud.... We had been leading up to this day. Hours were spent together at the centre getting to know the new faces and surroundings. Making sure that she felt comfortable and familiar. We decided early on that it would be Daddy's job to do drop offs. We all knew it would be easier that way.
The first day went fairly well and predictably, the weeks that followed were gut retchingly hard. She cried when she left the house. Screamed. Begged me not to make her go. I bribed her with treats. A muesli bar for the trip, a lollipop on collection, a new dolls stroller, some fairy dust. Anything to stop the tears. Still, there were tears at drop off and tears when I collected her. It broke my heart but I knew we had to go through with it. We both needed the time.
Then one day, about a month later, she settled in. Literally, one day there were no tears anymore. No more protests. I would collect her and she would be smiling and laughing with her little gaggle of buddies. She would proudly pop on her backpack and say goodbye to every single person in the class individually before stopping at every single room on the way out to wave to all the kids.
Ironically, it was around the same time that I started to sense some serious flaws. At first it was just a feeling from some of the staff..and then I noticed the sterility of the place. The fact there were no easels for painting. The place always seemed too quiet for a childcare centre. Izzy would tell me about her day and in one particular week, she told me that they weren't allowed to go outside for the two days she was there. I called the centre and was told it was because the grass (fake grass) was wet.... I knew this wasn't true. It hadn't rained. And besides, we pack spare clothes for outdoor play. Outdoor time is integral. It didn't take me long to realise they kept them inside so they could finish work on the adjoining car park during opening hours. I could let it slide.
Then I witnessed something I couldn't ignore. I arrived at the centre to pick her up just as all the kids were getting ready for a play outside. A little boy, around 3 years old was crying - he didn't want to go outside. Ignored. In true toddler style, his defiance grew louder.. he walked to a corner of the room and kicked a window. Ignored. He grew louder and louder and by this stage was crouching behind a bookcase wailing. Ignored. The kindy teacher was washing some dishes. She finally sighed and yelled "YES, George! We can hear you... WE JUST DON'T ACTUALLY CARE!!"
I could not believe my ears. Had she just actually said that? and in front of me? We eventually left and he was still crying in the corner as we got in to our car. My heart sank. I felt so sad for that little boy. Sad for his parents who had no idea how he was being treated.
By the time I got home, I was fuming with anger. How dare she treat a child in her care like that? She is PAID to care. I am sure you are fuming as you read this too. I was angry at myself for not saying something right then and there. For not giving that kid a hug and showing my daughter what compassion means. Instead, he was ignored by everyone in the room and actually told that no one cared.
Izzy made her first real friend at kinder the week before. Ava and Izzy had been inseparable. We ran in to her today at the children's farm and they locked hands and played like they have been buddies for years. My heart broke again.
How can I move her out now that she is so happy?
How can I make her go through the whole settling in process again? New faces... new surroundings...?
How can I keep her there knowing the standard of care?
How can I let Izzy's first pre-school experience be such a negative one? Isn't a kindy teacher meant to be warm, friendly and kind?
Torn.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Oh jess that is so sad! Unfortunately that centre is well below par and I do think you should take izzy out.
I wish you were closer to me. You'd love Amelie's centre. That sounds like I'm rubbing it in but I'm trying to say (badly) that awesome centres out there.
If you do decide to move izzy I'll send you a list of q's to ask and things to look for if you like xx
Oh Jess! My heart is hurting from reading about that little boy :( Even if he is a regular tantrum thrower, or attention-seeker, a teacher/carer should NOT say that to him.
And as for the no outside play in 2 days....thats crazy! Kids & especially toddlers NEED that outside time to run & play & explore & get exercise! My little Ella would be a ball of built-up tensed energy if she didn't have some outside play each day! I understand if it's raining all day....thats another story, but if it;s not raining, you'd think the staff would want the children out instead of being confined to a small space all day. Ella goes to daycare 2x per week. And has been at that same centre since she was 12 months old. She would cry hysterically at first when I would drop her. I would get to work a MESS because I felt so gutted at leaving her so upset :( But...over time it got better & easier! She now LOVES it & has some amazing little friends there! I'm also happy with the staff & facilities & can't really complain about it at all....I guess we were lucky! In fact, we're moving her to a new 'school' next year so she can do a structured 'pre-prep' program instead of a preschool class & although I'm excited about this decision....I'm also scared & sad that she will have to adjust again to a new school, new teachers, and make new friends! But....it's all part of life I guess!
Follow your heart Jess Do what's right for IZZY & her well-being. The social side of a move or stay will take care of itself eventually.
Keep us posted!
xo
This is so sad... are there really child care centres like this?
We've been lucky to always get good ones so far, but still my son took so long to settle in. I think I just sent him too early, before he was ready, but every one was telling me how he'd get used to it if I persisted. By the time I realised that while he was more or less used to it, he wasn't going to be truly happy, I just couldn't bare to take him out and have to go through the whole settling process again at a later stage. That's why I am really reluctant of letting my girl go, even though we are struggling with money and I feel like should be doing some more work.
But I just wanted to share some observation. We moved centres a couple of times and a move was not anywhere near as bad as settling in for the first time. It would normally only take my son a few days to stop crying and now he's finally started loving his pre-school and wanting to run there in the mornings. It only took him three days before he was really enthusiastic about it and he is a very shy and reserved boy.
I hope this helps.
Jess,
Have you had a chance to get to know any of the other parents yet? Can you have a chat with them to see what their experience is with the centre?
Unless they have a very different view, there are much better centres out there and I would recommend you move.
I reckon it's so important to find the best centre you can, because kids Izzy's age are like sponges soaking up how to think and behave from the adults around them.
You may have to go through another difficult settling in period with a new place, but it should be much shorter this time, because she has an idea of what to expect and because hopefully the new centre will be much better.
She'll miss Ava, but you could make that easier by organising lots of weekend playdates.
Cheers,
John
Thanks so much for your comments and advice guys.
John - I haven't had a chance to get to know any other parrents but it would have been good theta others experiences.
I have found anew centre that I have been on the waiting list for for ages. They just happened to have a spot because someone is going overseas. I know about 10 people who's kids there and they have al been happy with it,
Izzy starts orientation next week and Ava is coming ver for her first play date tomorrow :)
I will refrain from commenting no the carer but there is no question in my mind that I would take her out for one simple reason. You have to 100% believe in the care that you leave your child in or the whole thing is too traumatising for everyone. You have to be comfortable, you have to BELIEVE.
Moving on is really not that traumatic for Izzy. She will adapt as she has done so well at the sterile place. x
It's a tough one but i truly believe it is always us who feels more pain in transition than them. Take her and see if she likes somewhere else more. I couldn't live with those happenings in my setting. In fact i think i would have to really complain to the manager/owner, or report them.
I think you are torn but really inside you know what you have to do. She can still see her new friend outside of school and she will make more friends at a new place too.
I'm feeling it for you. So tough. xx hugs xx
i am fuming reading this. have you seen the film "waiting for superman". you should watch it. i would pull her out, simply tell her your looking for the perfect place for her.
Just saw this, Jess. Bloody hell, it made me feel like crying!
I'm glad you have found a new place for Izzy. How is she finding it?
As you have probably read, I've had my own issues with care but the trickiest part was that I was generally happy with the level of care - I know the carers love LD but in the end, I pulled him out because the new room he'd been moved up to just wasn't working. In particular, he was clashing with a group of older boys. I can't blame the centre for that although as I reflect on it now, I think they could have informed me of what was going on rather than letting me try to piece it together through the foggy info relayed by a three-year-old.
Sigh. How I keep myself from wrapping the boys in cotton wool and locking them up with me at home, I'll never know....
Post a Comment