Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The dreaded playcentre

I can remember our first indoor playcentre visit clearly. A friend of Isobels had her 1st birthday at one. I vowed NEVER to return again and absolutely on no circumstances was I ever going to have a party at one.

Call me a snob but my first impression was pretty accurate. They usually smell like a combination of rancid oil and mould. The equipment is caked in some sort of grime from years of grubby little fingers and cleaning neglect. The food they dish up is enough to dissolve your child's' bones. Chips, nuggets, red cordial and pink ice cream cake with a list of flavours, enhancers and preservatives that would ensure at least 5 hours of hyper activity per mouth full.

BUT like all pre-baby or pre-toddler affirmations there was a short window of time when I decided to let go of these judgements, throw caution to the wind and take Izzy to the local playcentre with some fellow Mummy friends. It didn't seem as bad as my previous experience. The kids could run fairly freely while us mums were able to chat and be relatively relaxed...With bubba number two on the way, this playcentre thing was beginning to seem more& more alluring. I decided to return on one of my Nannying days - what better place to kill some time on a rainy day with two active toddlers?

That's when it all went really really bad. We arrived and the girls went straight for the ball pit. Before I could even plant myself on a nearby chair I noticed in horror (at about the same time as 10 other onlookers) that the little girl I was looking after was standing knee deep in the coloured balls with a stream of urine cascading between her legs.

My first instinct was to pretend I didn't know either of them and flee. As that was clearly not an option I went with Plan B; remove offending child and find help.

The staff basically told me that it was my responsibility to 'fix' it - they gave me a filthy dish rag and said I should clean the balls. Of course, it is impossible to clean out a ball pit on your own but I did what I could (not much with two toddlers hanging off me), changed Miss E in to some clean clothes and fled, red faced and very very traumatised.

It wasn't until I got home and came down from the whole event that I realised how awful the staff were. Where was the tape to cordon off the ball pit whilst it was being cleaned by me? Where were the gloves for me to use? The anti bacterial spray? There were kids back in the ball pit before I could remove any of the balls because no one helped me to tell the other 50 + parents that it was being cleaned. Not to mention the fact that I had to leave Miss E in her wet clothes in order to save other toddlers from jumping in to the pit.

It goes without saying that I complained. Both to the centre and to the local council. The local council were hopeless. They failed to see any issue with their lack of procedure for basic hygiene. The centre were predictably un-fazed.. I am sure they hear it a lot.

I can now safely say that I will NEVER return to another playcentre. Unless I can ever find one that is poles apart from the ones I have seen. Have you had a playcentre nightmare experience? Or do you know of a good one?

7 comments:

LJ said...

I must admit...I am also not a fan of the playcentre. I've only ever been twice - and while I have not had awful experiences...I have not ever felt truly comfortable with my girls playing there.

I am horrified at the way in which the staff treated you, and if I were you...I would have picked up the kids and told them to get stuffed. They make money, it is THEIR business...THEIR responsibility. Sorry you had to endure that...hugs. xx

Maxabella said...

Awful, awful places. I cannot believe that you were made to clean the ball pit on your own and, let's face it, with a dish rag how clean could it be!? All those kids playing in the wee balls. Not good.

I hate the places, but we've been to a couple of parties at Lollipops in Frenchs Forest and the Tsunamis LOVE it there. If felt clean and loved. There's a 'teacup' ride and lots of funky slides. I didn't mind the experience all up...

Hayley said...

That's terrible!!Obviously they have never heard of OHS!Kids always choose the best times to do things like that.Its funny my sister and I were joking about winning the lotto yesterday and if we did we would open our own playcentre :)

Jessi said...

oh my goodness!!!!!

that is the most horrendous story i have ever heard!!

the fact that it is YOUR responsibility to clean the balls just seems absolutely ridiculous and the fact that children were back in the urine filled ball pit is just disgusting... oh my god..

i HATE playcentres too. The only one that I like is a really super duper clean one in Brighton called Bonkers. It is worth the drive, if it is ever rainy etc...

You should be able to go to a higher body for this matter as it simply disgusting!

i am sorry you had to experience that!

:( x

Mammamusing said...

Oh Jess how awful!

We have only ventured inside one of this hellholes once.

Like you it was for a 2nd birthday party and I reasoned with myself seeing as Amelie was only 8 months old she'll be in my arms and not touching anything.

Imagine my horror when I turned to see Ben giving Amelie an assisted slide down the slide equipment. Nooooo I yelled in slow motion and and scooped her up and took her away from the germs.

She did come down with a cold not a day later which I firmly blame on the play centre.

Your experience reinforces to me that they are unhygenic and not a place I'll be taking Amelie rain hail or shine.

I hope you've recovered from the trauma!

Claire Chadwick @ Scissors Paper Rock said...

Hehehe Jess...you make me laugh :) You are a very good writer!!
But....on the serious side...that is terrible that they made YOU clean it up by yourself...with only a dirty rag! YUCK!!
Can you imagine how many children have wet themselves {or thrown up} in there and it has NOT been cleaned up PROPERLY by the staff....ewwww!!!

When Ella was crawling age, I would go to an indoor playcentre every few weeks with my Mothers Group...it was quite dirty & I was constantly wiping Ella's hands with hand sanitiser. BUT...the day we discovered a rolled up dirty nappy in the ball pit was the LAST day I set foot in that place!!!!!

We have another indoor playcentre about 15mins away and it is quite expensive for the kids to play there....but worth the money, because it is clean and serviced & very well run!!
xox.

Kristi said...

oh my...hugs.