Thursday, June 17, 2010

Where for art thou sleep?


I had a moment of clarity (or insanity) this week - depending on which way you look at it. It was the realisation and acceptance that I will be tired for at least the next seven years. This is based on having 2 to 3 kids. At first this was a shocking realisation - one that left me feeling chilled to the bone and even more tired than I was before I realised it.

Then I got over it and for about a 12 hours, I actually felt ok about being tired for seven years. Like really ok.

Then last night I was woken three times by Miss Izzy and today I am back to square one. Feeling deflated, exhausted and wondering how the heck I will manage with a toddler who is as busy as my little girl and a newborn.

And then the little voice of reason in my head tells me that we just manage. Thats what us Mum's come to learn and I think that maybe we all just swing from one reality to the other - sometimes we have complete clarity and acceptance, we feel like super mum and other times we all feel like we would like the ground to swallow us up for just one day!

Its the rewarding, exhausting rollercoaster of motherhood! I need to go and have a sleep just thinking about it..

8 comments:

Kristi said...

it is the food preparation that gets me. it is just never ending, right? i always think when will i be able to eat cereal for dinner again. eighteen years...oh my.

ps. the boots are Hunter brand.

Mammamusing said...

Oh jeez Jess I hear you!

Having proudly posted about having Amelie's sleep under control today has been a shocker for both day sleep and tonight getting her to sleep.

It is hard to accept we'll be sleep deprived for so long.

I think the only thing that helps me accept this fact is there is really nothing I can do but accept it (and snatch a little extra sleep whenever I can).

Jorth said...

The key is sneaking in your own nap when they have theirs... worked for me, anyhoo!

Cherie said...

Hey Darling it's all worth every single waking delirious moment! As four generations we had a gorgeous day today as the pics of my Great- Grand-Baby shows ... to be in their company now is worth every sleepless night and what went with it ~ the Bliss is indescribable ;-) xoxo

LJ said...

I hear you! In a short few months I will be going from two kids to three, and will have a 3 year old, a 20 month old and a newborn!! But you manage. You always find a way. the sleep part doesn't scare me as much as the increase to the washing load does!! Good luck. Love your blog!

Maxabella said...

Sigh. You know I know. I'm six years in (I had 3 under 4 at one stage) and I totally get it. But I must say that it's not annilating sleep deprivation for all those years 'cos you totally adjust and it takes a killer night (we call them an APB "all-points-bulletin" night) to really throw you.

The SD becomes less consuming as time goes by. It's just not something I think about most days anymore.

You will be fine.

Corrie said...

oh I hear you! with 3 little ones and knowing number 4 is coming this year its kind of good I can live on 6 hours sleep.

on any given night at least 1 will end up in our bed and on a bad night (we've had a few of these lately) all 3 end up in our bed and hubby goes and finds an empty bed

i'm just glad that at least once they get in our bed they fall asleep!!!!!!!!!!!

corrie:)

Claire Chadwick @ Scissors Paper Rock said...

Oh my goodness, I could relate soooo much to this post Jess!! I was just writing an email to some girlfriend's of mine {who are also mummies to toddlers} and I was having a big vent!! I was letting it all out....all the joys and all the frustrations of motherhood! Ella who is now 2 and a half is still a terrible TERRIBLE sleeper and I also have days where I just feel so incredibly exhausted!! But....the good times and joys definitely out-weigh those days :)
You wrote such an honest post and I love that! Thank you!!
Hang in there....we'll get our sleep back one day ;o)
C xo.