Saturday, August 7, 2010

A sad irony

I can't help but notice an irratating trend developing amongst famous new Mums or just women in the media in general.

In the past few months we have been subjected to Jacinta Tynan telling us that motherhood is in fact not hard at all.. it is a pleasure 24/7 and anyone who feels otherwise is obviously ungrateful.

This wasn't the first or the last of it. There was the prominent editor of the UK Parenting Mag who announced that breastfeeding is 'creepy' and will ruin your breasts. You can read more of that rubbish here.

Gisele then came out of the woodwork to announce that breastfeeding should be made THE LAW because of course, everyone should be able to breastfeed for at least 6 months and any woman that can't or won't is a criminal.

And we cant forget Kim Kardashan tweeting about a breastfeeding 'minnion' she spotted in public:

"EWW Im at lunch,the woman at the table next 2 me is breast feeding her baby w no coverup then puts baby on the table and changes her diaper" - She then tried to redeem herself by saying that she thinks breastfeeding is fine but not when you can see the womans breast! Yah, right Kim...but its ok for everyone to see your boobs?

Last year, my sister in laws' close friend committed suicide. She had two gorgeous young children (one of whom was still a baby), a loving husband, a strong network of friends and family, was gorgeous and always smiling on the outside but on the inside she was dying for a long time. She suffered from severe PND and eventually she lost the battle. It all became too much.

After her death, PANDA hosted a fundraising event in her honor (she had been in contact with PANDA over the years before she took her life). One of the key points they made at this event was that whilst awareness had raised in recent years, there was still, sadly, a very negative and isolating stigma attached to PND - So much so that they had been completely unable to find a celebrity Mum willing to be the official ambassador for the organisation. They had contacted countless celebrity A and B list Mums in Australia and always recieved the same response. No. The general message being that linking your face and name to PANDA would be professional suicide for a famous Mum.. after all, what message would it send to Agents, Producers etc...

Do you see the irony here?

I think the only law that needs to be imposed right now is one that bans glammed up, famous self proclaimed 'super mums' from airing their thoughtless and often damaging views of motherhood in public.
(Image found at www.weheartit.com)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was a great post Mama. Sad but thought provoking. My heart breaks for your SIL's friend and family x

nellbe said...

You are so right. Wonderful post. xx

Mammamusing said...

Jess I agree with you wholeheartedly!

We mother's are toughest on ourselves. We simply don't need any further pressure from others.

Felicity said...

Having just discovered your blog I am blown away by this posting.
I applaud your sentiments and look forward to the first 'profile' to step forward with integrity relating to this very serious topic.
Am off to press the 'follow' button now.
x Felicity

Gill@OurParklife said...

wow - this was so well written...i couldn't agree more with you and it is such a shame they could not find a celebrity ambassador...

the "perfect supermum" image annoys me...it is just a myth...and we would all be a lot better off if mothers felt supported in their choices rather than judged...

well done to you for speaking up!

Claire Chadwick @ Scissors Paper Rock said...

Well written Jess :)
I agree totally with your every word! It is sad that Mothers {not all...but a lot} have to pretend to be something that they're not....or wear a smile when they are simply faking it :(
Thank goodness for support systems & honesty from other Mummies {such as yourself Jess}
xo

LJ said...

Such a great post - you are totally right. One of my very dear friends tried to take her own life after suffering undiagnosed PND. Luckily she was not successful and with the right treatment and medication she has gone on to have another beautiful bubba.

Smithsholidayroad said...

Jess that was an excellent piece of writing.
I too am thinking of your SIL's friend/family xx

thanks for sharing Bron xo

Cat said...

Oh Jess, you are TOO RIGHT! It is so very sad that it makes my heart break. I suffered from PND and on reflection, it wasn't that bad, not as all consuming as the poor woman of which you speak. I think though, that the people around me, who are used to me being the strong one didn't know how to cope and I just pulled myself through somehow. Cos I was functioning (barely!) I never thought it that bad so didn't really seek out the help I should have. I reckon if it were more "outspoken" in terms of profile and I'd been as active in the blog world at the time I would have treated myself very differently indeed. Snaps to you for another fab post.

CHECKS AND SPOTS said...

So true and so well written! I was incredibly underprepared for the judgement you continually receive as a mum...

MultipleMum said...

Quality work Jess. A terrible outcome for your s-i-l's friend. Thanks for sharing this heart-felt observation of life. I agree with you.

Jess said...

Thank you for all your responses to this post.. I was so angry as I was typing it out and almost didnt post it because i didnt think people would want to read it.

I am glad I did xx

Jess said...

Cat - I agree that blogging can be so helpful when dealing with difficult emotions. It helps to read people are going through similar things xx