Monday, August 16, 2010

When toys lose their wonder...

Is it just me or are commercial toys becoming more about imitating an adult world and less about wonder, imagination and childhood...

I am a sucker for wooden and felt toys. I decided early on that I would do my best to ensure the 'made in china' plastic junk was kept at to a minimum and instead subtly encouraged the immediate family to buy books and fair trade or hand made toys.

Of course, the reality is that the 'junky' toys still find their way home at times, and I have been guilty of throwing a few cheap n nasty toys in the trolley for a few hours of peace.

But PLOISE! Enough! Do kids really need sliced bread in their pretend kitchen? Whatever happened to turning some cardboard or a piece of bark in to imaginary bread....?

And isn't it just a little bit sad that the ellusive, magical bubble has now been 'modified' for the kidlets so that we now have bubbles that don't pop on contact? Sure - its amazing technology but I remember chasing bubbles around the garden for hours as a child... trying to catch one... just one....

And this is by far the most horrifying toy discovery so far - A mini McDonalds Drive Thru. This is just wrong on so many levels that I don't even know where to begin.

I was shocked when I saw this in Toy R Us on the weekend... and I vowed never to set foot in to that place again!

9 comments:

Jessi said...

i could not agree more on every single level jess!!!

i was looking for vintage toys (as i do) on the weekend and found an old little people set that was macdonalds and was horrified!!!!!

my boys have never been to that M place yet, and don't know what it is called either YET...

hows the room planning going??

Sarah said...

Wow, i agree also - the last image made my tummy flip eek!
looking forward to seeing more on the bedroom and the nursery soon.

Maxabella said...

OMG, I haven't seen the Macca's drive through. That is a classic! I am almost tempted to award that the Bogan Toy of the Year Award (last year's recipient was Bootscootin' Barbie).

They make bubbles that don't pop? Um... hideous, terrible business... um... where can I get some?

LJ said...

That McDonalds is a shocker!!! I cannot believe it....

MultipleMum said...

I'm with you on this Jess.

There is a whole lot of junk available for kids these days.

That Drive Thru defies description. So wrong! You sure you didn't imagine it?

Mammamusing said...

A maccas drive thru? Now I've heard it all!

Kristi said...

i hear ya mama.

Gill@OurParklife said...

Can not believe that MacDonalds Drive through toy...I am thankful that we do not have a MacDonalds in Margaret River and so even though my boy are tiny they have no idea what MacDonalds is....

Couldn't agree more with this post...I try to pick wooden toys over plastic as much as possible, although we do have some plastic toys that are not too bad...

I really think most kids have WAY too many toys nowadays and like you say this takes away so much from kids imagination and creativity...

Oh,and Jess, I forgot to mention that i saw your comment about following our blog...This has happened to me too, where I thought was following a blog and later found out I was not...who knows why? some of this blogging stuff is a bit over my head! So happy to have you as a follower!

Tracey said...

That MacDonalds thing is just wrong!

As for the bubbles...i thought you were meant to be able to pop them?!

Some material play food can be cute though. We don't have any but have you seen Ikea's new range? Ther is such a thing as a step too far everywhere you look though.