Sunday, October 31, 2010

Homemade Honey Biscuits & Halloween


Halloween seems to be gaining momentum here in Oz. I think in the past there was this anti-American feel about it... "Why would we celebrate an American custom" you would here the adults sneer. It was deemed 'unsafe' to knock on peoples doors and ask for lollies!

I think the parents of young kids today are more in to embracing celebrations & customs from all over the globe...America included! And why not? Its fun, it gets the local neighbourhood together and we all get a little bit of sugary loot to enjoy!

We happen to be lucky enough to have a Masters student from Memphis living with us at the moment, so there was always going to be a little bit of Halloween fun...

Izzy chose her fairy costume (predictably) and we visited my American Aunt Glo whose house in inner city Melbourne attracts at least 30 odd little trick or treaters every year...
I baked up a batch of honey jumbles for any trick or treaters to our door...
I found the yummy recipe for these Honey Jumbles here over at Cathies blog Melbourne Epicure

5 comments:

Gill@OurParklife said...

that is one cute little fairy you have there....so sweet!

Halloween has been big here in margaret river...much to my suprise. In previous years I have forgotten all about halloween and trick or treating but I guess the world is getting smaller and so customs and traditions such as this are def. being celebrated all over...

And there are good and bad with all such customs - I think traditions are just lovely though...I hope Izzy had a lovely time this evening

Gill xo

Bubby Makes Three said...

Izzy is so adorable! Last night, I had troops of be-masked kids knocking at my door, brandishing buckets of sweeties. I was ill prepared but managed to scrounge some uneaten mini easter-eggs (?!) to placate their festive spirits. I've never 'done' Halloween, it always seems just a tad TOO American for my liking, and not something I was ever exposed to as a child. But it does seem to be slowly catching on!! Hope your pregnancy is going well -- not long to go now! x

Claire Chadwick @ Scissors Paper Rock said...

Izzy is the cutest little fairy :) We join in on the halloween fun too...we don't go overboard, but since we live in a family orientated area, there's always a lot of young families ready to celebrate & have fun! Any excuse to dress up & eat lollies I say :)
Have a great week Jess!
xo

Cathie said...

there's nothing wrong with a little bit of sugary loot!!
she looks very cute to me, not scary at all.
glad you liked the recipe, it really is very simple & mine love them.
please let me know how you go with the GF.
happy week to you Jess ♥

Maxabella said...

Izzy is much too cute to be out on Halloween! She looks adorable - I particularly love the stripey tights.

It would have been so much fun to have an American in the house for Halloween. They really know what it's all about. I'm impressed that you baked for all those T&Ters. I slapped a freddo in their hands and sent them on their way!!! x