
I admit, when my sister first ran the idea past me I was aghast. Not buy eachother any presents for Christmas? What kind of grinch would dream that up?
I was skeptical - it sounded more like a plot to get out of spending money than an idea of any real substance... then, with a little prompting, I thought about it a little...
My immediate family does KK for all the adults, we spend $50 on the person who is drawn for us from a hat and we then, rather mindlessly, choose our KK a present from 'wish list' that is sent to everyone. In other words, you get something you ask for. I guess its practical to the point of boring - somewhere along the way (when we were trying to save money) we took the joy right out of giving and turned it in to a process with a set of 'rules' that leaves nothing to the imagination.
So, we have ditched the wish list and replaced it with a few guidelines that we hope will inject some spontaneity and creativity back in to Christmas....
Your KK's gift must be either;
- Handmade or
- Second hand (pre loved)
- Even better handmade from recycled/second hand materials
This means we wont be adding to the pile of packaging left over for landfill from Christmas.
I love the idea now and have already started putting together a basket full of goodies for my KK... A few visits to an Op shop gave me some great ideas - I cant share them here though, just in case she is reading :)
I have decided to try hand make most of our Chrissie decorations this year too...
So tell me, do you have gift giving guidelines or family traditions this Christmas?
11 comments:
I love the sentiment of this idea but.... have you forgotten you will have a newborn in about 5 minutes, will you have any spare time for this?!?!
ps. to distract you from your impending second-time-mummyhood, Ive posted a little challenge your way. Check my blog -- hope you can play along!!! x
Now my better half and I decided we wouldn't buy each other birthday presents this year. Problem was her birthday was first and I honoured the agreement but when mine came, she didn't. I felt terrible so ended up buying a belated one for her. Hope it works for you :)
We do the KK thing too and, frankly we are pretty over it! I love this idea. I am going to float it with the fam and see if it gets legs :)
Sounds like a fab idea! We do the whole secret santa $50 limit thing with the adults..the only problem is we all work out who each other has and the fun goes with it :)
Me again :)
I have the Husqvarna 210 and LOVE it! I find I still have to use the book for some things but because it is computerized it works out the stitches for you. I really hope santa brings you what you have asked for :)
i love this idea...we are a little over the KK idea also. hope to see some of your handmade decorations!
Hi Jess - thanks for visiting and following my ladies blog. And yes I do know your aunt and uncle but haven't seen them for a very long time. If you talk to them let them know I set up a Burwood High group on Facebook as well.
Now may I ask favour and have you follow my blog too :)
P.S. I'll tag you with the Fantastic 4 meme on my blog - but only if you do memes :)
oooh- I love this idea!!!! I might just run this past my family!!
this is just the sweetest idea for christmas Jess
A few of my family members have opted not to get presents this year and would like a donation to a charity on their behalf...
But I adore how your idea still allows for a little festive gift giving
xo
I love this idea. I think she's onto something that's going to really bring back the spirit of Christmas!!
But how on earth are you going to get all this done? Maybe 'something found' might work better!?!? x
Post a Comment