This year I decided to do my research and find out exactly what the 'green' approach to Christmas tree's is. It has always confused me as the there are pro's and con's with both plastic and plantation trees. The answer? A potted pine that you care for for years to come.
A tree that grows as the littlies grow.
The truth is, I was hesitant to give the giant cut pine a miss - I LOVE that smell of fresh pine in the house. It takes me back to my childhood BUT last year was a disaster. The cat pissed in the base on day 4, the tree was dying a slow death by the 15th and by the time the big day rolled around it was looking depressingly parched. It then sat in the backyard for 6 months as a grim reminder of its tragic life. Never again, I swore as we finally hurled it in to a neighbours green bin in the dead of night.
So, today we took Izzy to the local nursery so she could choose her own potted pine. I was hoping she would choose something medium sized but she insisted on a teeny little tree that is half the size of her. I think they make a cute pair!
6 comments:
i just got so excited when I saw "Isobels Tree" on my blogroll sidebar just now!
I am flat out going to copy you (hope you don't mind!) because this is just too sweet and I love that you did your green research....we have been trying to make up out minds as of what to do this year...as our previous real pine also lay sadly in our backyard for months to come after christmas...
loving that you are blogging often at the moment, Life's Little Whispers is such a nice place to visit. Hope it's helping to take your mind off things in the lead up to your birth!
Gill xo
Awww I LOVE Izzy's tree! IT'S PERFECT!!!
So special! You are the best mum Jess...so creative & thoughtful!
At one stage, when I was a kid, we lived in a house in QLD with a massive outdoor patio & we spent 90% of the time out there becuase it was such a great use of space & had the pool. We were having Mum's friends from England coming to stay with us for the Christmas holidays one year, so we decided to make it as 'aussie' as possible. That year our xmas tree was a medium size gum tree in a pot out on the patio :) Haaa! This post of yours brought back all those sweet memories for me!
xo
P.S. I'm loving all your blog posts recently...everytime I log in there's a new one & I LOVE that!!!
Look at that sweet little face. She loves it! I think it's a great idea, Jess. I reckon I'll be a copycat too. A tree in each of the babe's rooms, why not?!
No news. I'm checking in daily. x
No news yet Ladies :)
Gill & Claire - Thank you so much for your lovely words... they made my day. Its true, the blog has taken my mind off clock watching this last week xx
I love your idea. We went for plastic this year. I don't like the cut real trees, they are lovely in the beginning, but it's painful to watch them die. A potted tree is much better, I really wish I had thought of it (or seen a blog post about it) earlier. Maybe, I will still get one, then we'll have two Christmas trees
What a sweet little tree. We go plastic thanks to the mess factor of a cut real tree and the fact that we would struggle to keep the potted version alive (we're bad like that!) and then I would feel bad if it died :(
Post a Comment